Google launched Android Go yesterday, its new system primed for devices in emerging markets. This comprises a version of Android Oreo optimized for low-tier hardware, a revamped Play Store, and dedicated apps — several of which Google has already discussed.
These apps are designed for devices with lower storage and RAM than your typical flagship and are built to make better use of mobile data. Though Google revealed some of these alongside the new software, it’s not the only producer of such products: we’ve already seen apps from other brands in this vein, and Google recently created a set of guidelines for developing apps aimed at emerging markets, meaning we’re likely to see many more pop up in time.
The specific Google-developed apps we know to have been associated with Android Go so far are:
- Files Go
- Gmail Go
- Google Go
- YouTube Go
- Google Maps Go
- Google Assistant Go
- Google Play
YouTube Go is a slimline version of YouTube that lets you share videos via Bluetooth and download them for offline viewing. YouTube Go – Maximise your fun without eating up your data.
Files Go is brand new file manager app that provides “smart recommendations” on how to free-up storage space, as well as letting users transfer files between devices wirelessly without consuming mobile data.
Google Maps Go, the lighter version of the original Google Maps app. Designed to run smoothly on devices with limited memory and on unreliable networks without compromising speed to provide your location, real-time traffic updates, directions, and train, bus, and city transit information. You can even search and find information about millions of places, such as phone numbers and addresses.
Google Assistant Go is a lightweight and fast, yet still packed with your favorite features, the Google Assistant is now available on Android (Go edition).
Use your voice to get directions to the nearest coffee shop, make calls hands free during your commute, and unwind by playing your favorite tunes. You personal Google is here to help. Ask your Google Assistant questions and get things done. Use it anytime, anywhere.
With the Google Assistant Go, you can:
• Make quick phone calls on the go (“Call Sameer”)
• Send text messages (“Text Sara I am running late”)
• Play music (“Play some jazz on YouTube”)
• Navigate places (“Get me directions to the nearest coffee shop”)
• Preview your upcoming events (“Tell me about my day”)
• Weather information (“Do I need an umbrella today?”)
• Answers (“How tall is Mount Everest?”)
The Gmail you love, now lighter and just as fast. Enjoy a smart inbox that keeps your messages safe and you organized. Receive notifications when mail arrives, then read and respond both online & offline. Plus, find messages quickly with powerful search and lots more. With Gmail Go, you’ll enjoy:
- A smarter inbox – Focus on messages from friends and family first, while social and promotional emails are categorized neatly for when you have time.
- Less spam – Your account stays safe and clutters free because Gmail Go blocks spam before it hits your inbox.
- 15GB of free storage – Forget about deleting messages to save space.
- Multiple account support – Set up both Gmail and non-Gmail addresses (Outlook.com, Yahoo Mail, or other IMAP/POP email)